Let’s face it: you’ll learn a lot in school, but there’s no way you can possibly learn everything. Chances are, if you took a home economics class in school there was a lot it didn’t cover. Check out these household lessons to fill in the gaps.
Get the lowdown on investing, saving, budgeting and so much more in these finance lessons.
- Calculating principal: Check out this lesson to learn how to calculate principal.
- 5 Money Ratios to Live By: Use these money ratios to plan your spending and budget.
- Setting priorities: Setting priorities will teach you about achieving the financial goals that are important to you.
- Charities and Non-Profit Organizations: This lesson will give you an overview of donating to charities and other non-profits.
- 20 Ways to Raise Cash: Find money through these 20 great ideas.
- How to Buy a $5,000 Car: Check out this guide to learn how to successfully buy a $5,000 car.
- Planning for Retirement: Use this lesson to learn how to plan for your retirement.
- Making a Budget: Get a grip on your spending with this lesson on budget building.
- Paying student loans: Read this lesson in finance to understand the reality of student loans.
- Steps to Financial Freedom: This guide will show you the various steps to reaching financial freedom.
- Introduction to Credit Cards: In this lesson, you’ll learn about credit cards, credit, and paying interest.
- Hiring Financial Help: Get the lowdown on hiring a financial planner in this guide.
- How to Cut Car Ownership Costs: Here you’ll find out how to make your car ownership costs as low as possible.
- Checking accounts and checkbooks: This lesson will teach your skills for check writing and checking accounts.
- Steps to Successful Stock Investing: Successfully invest in stocks with what you can learn here.
- Investing basics: Get a look at stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and inflation.
- Taxes: This tax lesson covers sales tax, federal and state taxes, and what your tax dollars go to.
- Understanding Risk and Return: Learn about risk and return here, two important concepts in investing.
- Introduction to Earning Interest: This worksheet will help introduce you to the concept of earning interest.
- Calculating interest: Better understand how interest works with the help of this lesson.
These lessons will teach you how to be a smart consumer.
- Shrinking sizes: Although products may look the same, it’s always important to look at the fine print and make sure you’re getting as much as you believe you are.
- Watch out for early termination fees: Many services, usually cell phones, will charge you for backing out of a contract early.
- No one wants to just give you millions: If you receive an email promising millions of dollars from a stranger, just ignore it.
- Save your receipts: Whether it’s for warranty, returns, or taxes, receipts can really come in handy.
- Protect your social security number: Don’t give out your social security number to anyone who shouldn’t get it.
- Be nice: Be a friendly and polite consumer, and you just might find kindness in return.
- Know your family tree: Some scammers pretend to be distant relatives in desperate need of cash.
- Check your phone bill: Be sure to glance over your phone bill to make sure you’re not being billed for bogus charges.
- Never wire money to strangers: Don’t ever wire money to people you don’t know.
In these lessons, you’ll learn about great design for your home.
- Introduction to interior decorating: Learn the essential factors of interior design from this lesson.
- Don’t Be Afraid of Color: This lesson encourages readers to embrace color in decor.
- Create Ambience: Here, you’ll learn a little bit about creating ambience.
- How to buy furniture: This lesson contains great tips for buying furniture, and the terminology you’ll need to understand it all.
- Find a Focal Point: Check out this lesson to understand the importance of a focal point.
- Tips for Mixing Patterns: Mix prints with the help of these tips.
- Use small spaces: Check out this lesson to see how you can make your small spaces look and feel more spacious.
- Details Matter: This lesson will teach you to pay attention to details in design.
- 5 Tricks for a Quick Home or Apartment Makeover: Transform your space quickly with this lesson.
- Prepare: Measure, make a floorplan, create a list of materials needed, and you’ll be on your way to a prepared interior design project.
- Be Fearless: This decorating lesson encourages you to push the envelope on creativity.
- Maximizing Space: Use your space more effectively with the help of this lesson.
- Express Your Personality: Understand how to express yourself through interior design.
If you’re clueless about how to get your house clean, check out these lessons.
- How to clean a microwave oven: Here you’ll find professional tips for cleaning splatters and explosions out of your microwave oven.
- How to Clean Your Bathroom: Follow this lesson to get your bathroom spic and span.
- Schedule cleaning: Put cleaning on the calendar to make sure the job gets done.
- Introduction to cleaning: Pass the white glove test using this lesson.
- How to Wash Your Clothes: Master the art of keeping your clothes clean with this lesson.
- Proper cleaning tools: Here you’ll learn about investing in good cleaning tools.
- How to Clean Suede: Check out this guide to getting suede clean.
- Prevent cross-contamination: Read this lesson to learn how you can help prevent cross-contamination.
- How to Go Green: Cleaning: This guide will tell you how to green your cleaning.
- Transforming your junk drawer: With this lesson, you can give your junk drawer new life.
- How to Clean Laminate: This lesson offers the details on cleaning laminate floors.
- How to clean carpet: Learn how to remove stains, wax, urine, odors, and more through this lesson.
- How to Clean a Garbage Disposal: In this lesson, you will find out how to clean your garbage disposal.
These lessons will teach your the helpful household skill of sewing.
- Sewing 101: Sewing 101 explains sewing lessons, definitions, sewing machines, and more.
- Choose Your Fabric: Follow this lesson to understand the different types of fabric and how to choose the right one for your pattern.
- How to Thread a Needle: Find out the easy way to thread a needle in this lesson.
- Before You Operate a Sewing Machine: Debbie Colgrove will tell you how to buy and operate a sewing machine.
- Learn to Stitch: Here you’ll find a lesson in stitching.
- How to Thread a Sewing Machine: This lesson offers basic directions for threading a sewing machine.
- Sew Your Own Pocketbook: Create your first bag with the help of this guide.
Get a handle on meal preparation through these lessons.
- Fruits and Vegetables Preparation Guide: Here you’ll see how to prepare a variety of fruits and vegetables.
- How to Boil an Egg: This lesson will teach you how to make a simple boiled egg in just 6 steps.
- Thrifty Meal Ideas: You’ll get great ideas for cheap, healthy meals from this lesson.
- How to Plan a Meal: You’ll learn how to plan meals for nutritional needs and more through this lesson.
- Kitchen Safety Tips for Kids: Keep your kids safe when helping out around the kitchen.
- How to Grill: Learn how to fire up your grill with this lesson.
- How to Become a Vegetarian Chef: Here you will get an introduction to vegetarian cooking.
- Gravy 101: Take Gravy 101 to make the perfect gravy.
- How to Boil Water: This guide covers the fine art of water boiling.
- Easy Meals for Beginner Cooks: Check out this lesson to create foundation meals.
- How to Cook: How to Cook follows the basic steps of cooking just about any dish.
- How to Cook for Just Yourself: This lesson will teach you the essentials of cooking for one.
- How to Chop an Onion Like a Chef: Follow this lesson to learn the technique of onion chopping.
- How to Cook Fish: Make a heart healthy and delicious fish dish with the help of this lesson.
- Bread 101: Check out this lesson to see just how easy making bread is.
Here you’ll find the basics of taking care of babies and children.
- First Aid for Children: Know how to administer first aid with this guide.
- Amazing Grace: In Amazing Grace, you’ll find tips for teaching children manners.
- Two Basic Rules for Rewarding Your Child: Follow these rules to healthily reward your child.
- Diapering Your Baby: Diapering Your Baby shares step by step instructions for using diapers.
- Choosing the Right Car Seat: Check out this guide to learn how to use the right car seat.
- How to Childproof Your Home: Make your home safe for baby with this guide.
- Basic Swimming Pool Safety Tips: Check out this guide to keep your child safe in the pool.
- 21 Ways to Soothe Your Crying Baby: Find out how to soothe your crying baby with this guide.
- Basic Childcare Tips You Should Know: This guide will help you find a source for child care.
- Allowances for Kids: Allowances for Kids will give you a guide to teaching financial responsibility to children.
- Instructions for Nursing Your Baby: Here you’ll learn the basics for nursing your newborn.
- Age-by-Age Guide to Feeding Your Baby: This guide will tell you what and how much to feed your child at every stage up to a year.
Learn from these lessons to build a healthy relationship.
- Marital Depression: Find out what causes marital depression and how you can avoid it with this lesson.
- Be Proactive: This lesson will teach you how to be proactive in marriage.
- Compromise: Here you’ll find a short and funny lesson in marriage compromise.
- What is Codependency?: Here you’ll learn about codependency in relationships.
- 5 Communication Lessons Learned in Marriage Counseling: Here you’ll learn about communication in marriage and beyond.
- Marriage 101: Marriage 101 is a beginner’s guide to marriage.
- Avoiding the Urge to Stray: This guide can help you stay faithful in your relationship.
- Relationship Help: Relationship Help offers advice for health and exciting love relationships.
- Hanging Onto Your Identity: Use this guide to find out how to keep your own identity while in a relationship.
- Communicate or Disintegrate: This lesson explains how important communication is.
- Happy Marriage Lesson #1: This lesson encourages you to drop everything and have fun with your partner.