Being good at any major in the fine arts takes a lot of practice, perseverance, and commitment, whether you want to be a great painter or create blockbuster films. Students must constantly be learning, both inside and outside of college classes, and striving to be better at what they love to do at all times. One way to stay in the loop about what’s going on in the fine arts and improve your understanding is by using the resources available online. Blogs can be an excellent way to connect with others who share your passion and provide inspiration that can make you a better artist. Here are a few you should check out that offer advice and information on a wide range of fine arts fields. Don’t hesitate to check out blogs outside of your major — you never know what might prove inspiring!
Drawing and Painting
These blogs focus on helping students and art enthusiasts learn more about drawing and painting news and techniques.
- lines and colors: On this blog you’ll find all kinds of posts about drawing, painting, cartoons, illustration, computer art and a whole lot more.
- Drawn!: You’ll find a wealth of inspiration to help you become a better artist and learn more about the field here.
- Drawing Tutorials Online: In need of a little instruction? This site can help, with hundreds of tutorials and podcasts.
- Painting Blog: Visit this blog by Nancy Reyner to find weekly posts on art news, as well as some helpful acrylic techniques you can use.
- Everyday Paintings: Oil painters will be interested in this blog, featuring posts on topics like mailing paintings, pouring mineral spirits and backing up your work.
- A Life Drawing Blog: You don’t have to be enrolled in this art class to take advantage of the human-form drawing resources posted here.
If you’re studying to work as an illustrator, these blogs are great sources of information on all things the art entails.
- Pikaland: Keep up with illustration news and who’s big in the field through this blog.
- Illustrophile: This blog is an excellent place to find inspiration and some ideas for new techniques.
- Illustration Art: Learn more about the history of illustration from this blog that highlights some great works of the past.
- illustrativo: From the cute to the haunting, you’ll get a chance to see some truly amazing illustrations here.
Designers will find these blogs particularly inspiring.
- Design Observer: This blog is a must-read for any designer hoping to keep up with the field, with news, job boards and much more.
- Smashing Magazine: Check out this blogazine for some of the best design articles on the web, helping those in all aspects of design, from graphic design to industrial and product design.
- Dexinger: Get information on contests, typography, up and coming artists and a whole lot more here.
- Core 77: This design magazine and recourse can be a great place for students to learn more about working in the design world.
You’ll find news, lessons, equipment help and more on these photography blogs.
- Digital Photography School: Even the most experienced photographers can use some help in honing their skills and a blog like this, full of amazing tutorials and articles, can be a big help.
- PDN: Study the history of photography with the beautiful images displayed daily on this blog.
- Fine Art Photoblog: Curated by a group of fine art photographers, this blog offers up photos that will inspire you to be better at what you do.
- Photo Induced: If photojournalism is more your bag, give this blog a read.
- The Imaging Buffet: With news and advice on everything from what gear to get to how to improve your digital images, this blog is a great read for any student hoping to learn.
- DIY Photography: Learn more about lighting, setting up your studio, learning your camera and improving your technique with a little help from this blog.
Whether you’re interested in pottery, stone work or ceramics, you’ll find information in these blogs.
- Dorset Sculpture: This sculptor shares some of his work and that of other artists he admires.
- Art Pottery Blog: Learn more about fine-art pottery, from tiles to vases, on this blog.
- Wood That Works: On this blog, you’ll be able to explore the kinetic wood carvings of artists David.
- Bent Objects: This fun and entertaining blog makes a simple paperclip into art.
- Stone Carving Blog: If you’ve ever wanted to learn more about stone carving, this site can help you get started.
- Eves of Eight: You’ll get to see some beautiful ceramic sculptures by Kylo Chua here.
These blogs are a great resource for any student studying dance.
- Dance Advantage: Whether you want to teach dance or take on a professional career in the field, this blog can help you see the resources that are out there and get you where you want to be.
- A Dancer’s Days: Follow along as this dancer practices, pushes forward and works in a career in dance.
- Dance25: You’ll find a host of dance tips and tutorials here, sometimes with helpful pictures.
- loveDANCEmore: Learn more about dance news and events from this blog based in Utah.
- My Son Can Dance: Unfortunately there’s still a lot of stigma attached to men in the dance world. Whether you’re a male dancer or just want to support someone who is, this blog by the mom of a dancer is a great, inspiring read.
- Inside Ballet Technique: This blog will give you insights into the basics of better ballet technique.
Whether you love set design, costumes or being on stage, you’ll find help in your drama career here.
- On Theatre and Politics: Blending articles on theater with the politics that sometimes influence them, this blog is an insightful read for any drama geek.
- Unscripted: If you’re considering a career in acting, you may want to check out this blog for help with technique and finding gigs.
- Bite-Size Business for Actors: Learn more about the business side of the acting world from this blog, something that may save you a lot of headaches later on.
- Backstage Blog Stage: Get the latest buzz on the acting biz from this blog, with news, audition listings,, movie gossip and more.
- Costume Design Blog: What would a movie be without great costumes? Read through this blog for some insights into both the art and the business of designing wardrobes.
- Jonathan Paul Green: Think you want a career in set and production design? See what it’s really like on the blog of designer Jonathan Paul Green.
Embrace the art of films through these blogs for directors and film lovers.
- Film Directing Tips: As a young filmmaker, you can benefit from the directing tips found here from Director Peter D. Marshall.
- Opinionator: Errol Morris: This New York Times blog from filmmaker Errol Morris, is an amazing read for anyone fascinating by the art of film.
- Illiterary Fiction: From dealing with criticism to using digital film, you’ll find a wealth of helpful information here.
- Real Indie Film: Follow independent film news through this blog.
- IFC Blog: You can read some interesting and insightful articles here, touching on award-winning and amazing films you might not have heard about.
- Criterion Collection: Any movie nerd has heard of the Criterion Collection, representing some of the best and sometimes most overlooked films ever made. This blog highlights these films, with essays, criticism and more.
From art businesses to animation, you’ll find a wide range of topics covered in these blogs.
- Art Biz Blog: Learn more about how the business side of art works– essential no matter what field you choose to enter.
- Mosaic Art Now: If you’d like to experiment with mosaic or learn more about it, give this blog a read.
- Thinking Animation: This animation blog can be a great resource for students hoping to start a career in the field.
- Hollywood Animation Archive: Get inspired by the history of animation through the posts here that delve into animation archives.
- Dreaming Spirals: If you have a passion for textile art, make sure to check out this blog for some inspiring photos.
- Burnishings: With both digital and traditional work, this blog will help you to learn more about the printmaking process.